7.10.10

Houston, Wir Haben Internet!!!

Oh, my God! I have internet! Yaaahhhhoooo!!! I'm sorry I haven't been able to post anything since mid-August, but it really was nearly impossible, I swear! But now I finally have this funny device called a "dongle" and with it, internet!

So I'm living here in Saarmund (by Potsdam, that's where I go to school), and I'm attempting to learn German. I think it's coming along all right, if you ask me. My English grammar, however, is another matter. I need to try to keep it from deteriorating too badly before the year is up!

My host family is nice; I have a host mom, host dad, and two host sisters. (I probably already told you that, sorry!) I have my own room, furnished by IKEA, so thats not too terribly unfamiliar, lol. The bedsheets are actually the same as the ones I had back home. On the weekends we tend to watch movies together in German with English subtitles. (My spelling is already beggining to suffer; in German, the "ish" sound is spelled "isch," so English is actually spelled like Englisch.

School is coming along all right. I'm going to pass Englisch and Spanisch for certain, which is a good thing, because I would really love it if my English course here would count for back home, too. One funny thing, though. In Spanisch, I keep mixing up Deutsch and Spanisch, lolz.

Speaking of Espanol, I went on a field trip yesterday with that class. We went to a museum to see an exhibit of Teotihuacan, an ancient city in Mexico. I couldn't understand most of the tour, since it was all in German, but I did happen to see some very helpful plaques in English. I had been hoping to get a postcard for my brother back home, since he's liking Spanish so much, but the bookstore didn't look promising, and we had to leave to go to the Cancun Restaurant pretty quickly. When we got to the restaurant, it was such a neat sight to see. The inside was decorated to look like ancient mayan and aztec. I ordered a chocolate milk shake and quesadillas. Man, I hadn't realized how much I had missed Mexican food! (and milkshakes! lol)

I'm trying to deal with homesickness as well as I can, but it's still difficult. I keep trying to psych myself into dealing with the remaining time here as an extended vacation. It's not too long, only eight months (acht monat). This blog and facebook make me feel so much more connected to the world now. I hate that isolated feeling when you can't even let your friends and family really know what you're going through on a regular basis. But now I can keep in touch more easily. Its only the pond, after all! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Yea! So glad you're "connected!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. trying this out for the first time. Bella and I want to get connected but we are blogger rookies. so lets see how this goes....my first post....so exciting

    ReplyDelete