Dear Reader, I have something to tell you in this post that may startle you. Are you sitting down? I don't believe that you are sitting down. Because in the time it takes for the average person to read that four-word sentence, you could not have gracefully pulled up a chair, while reading, and sat down. Now, you could have plonked yourself on the carpet, but, dear Reader, I know from personal experience that to go from a standing position to a sitting lotus position with laptop in hand can be a jolting, if not completely traumatizing thing to go through. If you are still reading this and have not already sat down, then I advise you to do so now. I will even be so kind as to insert a paragraph break here. :)
(Note: Most people sit when they surf online. Four-legged creatures, Fish, and the Flash do not apply to this scenario. A lot of the people who read my blog refuse to put the book down in the middle of a paragraph. Therefore, for my standing, two-legged friends, the paragraph break, lol.)
Anyway, back to the awful and all-too apparent truth: It is nearly impossible to diet in Deutschland. At least, for us American kids it is!! I mean, their bread and chocolate is just so dang good! And, if you have ever heard of Nutella, you will know that these wonderful Europeans have invented a way to combine the two! And it's considered an appropriate breakfast food as well! (Chocolate Croissonts are a different category entirely. They are under the "pastry" instead of "bread" section.)
With all the wonderful, delicious calories, it's just altogether too difficult to diet. Possible solution: exercise, or as it's called in Germany: Sport. I myself have become rather fond of a jog every now and then around the neighborhood. (God, I sound like Mr. Collins!! But of course he would have said something like "turn about the grounds." The word jog could have been seen as crude by the upper classes during that time period. Well enough about the pathetically unromantic, could bore an insomniac to sleep, ends up marrying Charlotte [don't worry, I didn't just ruin the WHOLE book] Bennets' cousin.)
Onto this round of Odd Encounters of the European kind:
They have licorice here, but not the long rope kind. It's only in pinwheel form. Black and red, but no vines, like in the USA. I was not aware of this sad fact of life until recently.
It is extremely hilarious when a German teenage boy (typical blonde hair and blue eyes included) sings, "I am the girl with the golden hair," out loud, especially when you know he has a girlfriend.
Being told you wrote the best English essay in front of the class is only slightly less embarassing when you're a foreign exchange student in a country whose native tongue is not that language. In America, the other students blame it on your expanded vocabulary and the stack of books by your bed. In Germany, they blame it on the fact that you have been studying this language every day of your life since you were born. The second can be interpreted as brain wash, and you can't really blame anyone for that. ;)
Differently shaped chocolates taste fancier as well as look it.
The public bathrooms that actually MAKE you pay (turnsdail, who'da thunk?!) are slightly nicer than the regular ones. I vote yes to put a turnsdial bathroom on campus back home. (Yeah, girl! Right after we get the paper towels that aren't made of sand-paper! Like that'll happen... [insert eye roll, if so desired].)
Well, I do have one more day of school before my Easter Break (which I am allowed to call Easter break since that is it's name here), so I had better get an adequate amount of sleep tonight! Hope that wasn't too similar to wading through muck. Until next time, TGWTC!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yummy Nutella!--Can't wait to see you!
ReplyDeleteSuch a fun read!!
ReplyDelete