24.2.11

Kein Pw...

So this morning I heard the alarm ring and pressed "snooze," just like every school day (6:40). Then, five minutes later, my alarm rang again and I hauled myself out of my nice, warm, cozy bed to face the reality of another school day. Not the top of my list of "places to be," but it's not at the bottom either (6:45). I got dressed, put in my contacts, and brushed my teeth. Then I went back to my room to get all my school stuff together (7:00). Got all the books in my bag, turned of my phone and stashed it in my backpack, did a quick swipe of makeup, made sure that my hair wasn't a mess, and all the other random little things I do every morning. After I was ready, I went downstairs (7:15). Said goodmorning to my host mom, popped some bread in the toaster, grabbed two bottles of juice, took bread out of the toaster and smeared it with yummy cheese, packed up everything, got bundled up in my coat and scarf, said goodbye to my host mom, and left (7:25).

I'll fast-forward through my whole walk to school. It's not all that interesting, and a bit like many of the passages in Victorian period novels. That is to say, it would leave you wondering, why the heck is she telling me all this?? (Well back then most authors were paid by the page, so now we have to trudge through chapters about nothing but how the house was situated on a large green hill, but that's another story.)

When I arrived at school, cheeks a bit pink from the cold wind, I still had about ten minutes before the first class started (7:50). I went over to the board where the sheet of teacher absences hangs like a bulletin telling you when you get to stop cramming your head full of information and go home. I checked today's sheet first, double checked it, cross-referenced it with my schedule, and sighed.

My first class of the day was Politikwissenschaft, commonly abbreviated simply "Pw." I had spent almost two hours the night before working on the homework and learning about the German Bundesrat. (Thank-you to my CR for all her help!!!) After Pw, I would have had two free periods. I could have gotten up about three hours later, if I had chosen to do so. Now, looking at the paper on that wall, part of me wanted to find out my teacher's phone number, call him, and then complain in spanish so he hopefully wouldn't recognize who he was speaking to. Thankfully I have managed to restrain myself from any such action (8:00).

And now I'm here, at my house, letting you all know about my interesting morning. Sometimes the German school system works to my advantage, letting me have a couple free periods here and there to relax a bit or sleep in. Not to mention that every day is a different set of classes since we're on a block schedule. But sometimes the whole when-your-teacher-isn't-there-you-don't-have-to-come thing gets on my nerves. It's like someone takes my schedule and, every day, decides what arrangement of holes to punch in it, leaving me with a plan like swiss cheese.

Well, time to get ready for the rest of my school day! I have an English speech about American school pride to make, and some home-made rice crispie treats to take to school! Wish me luck! TGWTC, navigating her swiss cheese schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment